Human Factors Researcher
We are committed to improve the lives of as many people as possible. One of the most important areas in which we’re striving to do that is health.
Today we’re studying the use of artificial intelligence to assist in diagnosing cancer, predicting patient outcomes, preventing blindness, and much more. We’re exploring ways to improve patient care, including tools that are already being used by clinicians. And we’re partnering with doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals to help improve the care patients receive.
As a Human Factors Research Assistant, you will work closely with research, design, and product management to plan and execute studies, and ensure UX insights are incorporated into product design, improving patient care.
As a Human Factors Researcher, you'll support our research activities as we develop safe and transformative medical devices on the leading edge of Healthcare and AI. This role involves designing, planning, conducting, and reporting for formative and summative studies in support of regulated medical device development. You will also assist with literature reviews, ethnographic research, data analysis, documentation, and project logistics.
We are looking for individuals who have excellent communication skills, are diligent and detail-oriented, and can work independently on well-scoped projects.
- Participate in risk analysis and critical task development.
- Plan and conduct remote formative and summative usability studies.
- Analyze study findings, create detailed reports, and present to stakeholders
- Compile documents in preparation for regulatory submissions.
- Assist UX researchers on other projects (via recruitment, data analysis, etc).
- Most working hours will be within Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), although meetings within the United States PST time zone may be required. As applicants will be conducting user studies via video call, applicants should feel comfortable with their remote work environment, including:
- Access to sufficient internet to support video calling
- A working space conducive to user testing sessions
- Experience applying Human Factors principles and practices to medical device design and regulation. Experience planning, conducting, analyzing, and delivering detailed written reports of formative & summative user experience evaluations.
- BA/BSc (completed) in Social Sciences, HCI, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, Computer Science, or other related field emphasizing human behavior
- Able to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders
- Detail-oriented and ability to work independently on a variety of tasks.
- M.A/M.S./Ph.D. in Human Factors, Social Sciences, HCI, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, Computer Science, Product Design, or other fields emphasizing human behavior; or in lieu of degree, some related work experience.
- 2+ years of experience as a researcher in applied industry
- Healthcare / clinical workflow experience
- Working knowledge of the following International Standards and Guidance Documents preferred:
IEC 62366-1: Medical devices — Part 1: Application of usability engineering to medical devices
ANSI/AAMI HE75:2009 - Human factors engineering - Design of medical devices
ISO 14971:2007 - Application of risk management to medical devices
ISO13485-Quality management systems for Medical devices